Tuesday, November 14, 2006

All the colors of Rajasthan!

So many Rajasthan colors ... the pink, yellow, white, and blue cities ... and lastly the golden city of Jaisalmer.

Irene and I hit the bus stand and continue west to Jaisalmer, situated about 100 km from the Pakistani border. Pretty easy to tell a border is near with the ever-reaching and slow-moving convoys of military vehicles heading west.

Gasp, it was an uneventful trip! Bus stand fast-food find ... deep-fried doughy kind of stuffed pancake with a sort of curry, maybe dal filling. Hot out of the oil and served in a piece of newspaper. Yummy! Of course, I have no idea what they are called.

About 6 hours later, rather early in the afternoon, we arrive. You know, I think I may be becoming ok with all the yammering and pestering that is so India. Until now, I found it all a bit unnerving! We get off the bus and are descended upon by maybe 20 to 30 rickshaw drivers, all wanting to take you to their hotel in their rickshaw. They are all standing inches from your face, pushing business cards at you ... the din is overwhelming. This time, it was so over the top, I just started laughing and yammering back at them, at their volume of course. I've learned from day one ... always have your guest house reservations made!

The guest house du-jour is Ganesh Guest House. I can't believe my good fortune ... another guest house that's clean, towels, toilet paper, and with a mirror. It even had a little sitting alcove overlooking the street.

The big thing to do in Jaisalmer is the camel safari's. Irene and I stop by the Ganesh travel service and figure out our travel plans post-Jaisalmer and book our camels ... and I go for the gusto with 2 nights / 3 days (what was I thinking).

We stop by the fort as the sun is beginning to set. Yes, it's still gorgeous. We wander around, do more shopping.

At this point I learn the joy of Indian banking. I've had good luck with using ATM machines (and my credit union doesn't charge me any fees). Except this time, every ATM in the city (that's all three of them) is either out of order or out of money. I can always cash some travelers checks, but I hate paying the fees. Anyway, I have a few rupees left, and cross my fingers that's enough for now.

We head off to dinner and call it a night ... with visions of camels trotting along in our heads!