Friday, October 27, 2006

Just a lazing about day in India

Wednesday, October 25th ... nothing fancy-schmancy ... just lazing about!

I'm staying in the Tibetan colony, Majnu-ka-tilla, at the Wongden House ... very quiet, out of the way, almost not like it's in Delhi. But I needed a respite just to get my bearings.

The usual start of the day ... breakfast! If you ever have a chance, try Tibetan bread. It's the BIGGEST english muffin you've ever seen, thicker and denser than your US-store-bought stuff and so good! That and a couple of fried eggs, some black tea, and I'm good to go.

I really didn't do much the whole day, other than check emails, read a book, figure out what I wanted to see in Delhi, and of course eat ... so let me continue with the food theme.

Late lunch at the Lhasa Restaurant ... beef chow mein for about 75 cents and a lemon soda. Now of course you're thinking (or at least I was) that a lemon soda was going to be something like a 7-up. NOT! It is just what it says ... a bottle of soda water, bowl of sugar, glass with a squeezed lemon in it (pits and all), all on a little plate with spoon. OK, I can handle this ... or wait, I must not have passed that part of my high school chemistry class? Put it all together and eruption everywhere! No wonder they brought it out on a plate. Yummy!

What a decadent treat to be able to take a day to wander and stay out of the hustle-bustle. I was a bit tired, and that raging jet leg really had given me a whack in the knee caps. Knock on wood, I think it's gone now.

P.S. - The Wongden House is just further on down the alleyway - you can barely see the sign.