Friday, December 22, 2006

Trains ... the way to go

Do you think (yikes, I hesitate to even put this into words) I might have the whole Indian train thing down?

Next on the agenda was traveling 15 hours east to Kolkata (or in English, Calcutta). As you've read (I'm sure with rapt attention), my last few train rides were rather enjoyable! I booked either 2AC or 3AC class, which are usually sleeper cars ... meaning the beds are stacked either 2 or 3 high. They're pretty expensive by Indian standards, but rather comfortable. And since they're on the expensive side, only the very well-to-do Indians buy tickets. And luxury of luxuries, they provide a pillow, blanket and sheets ... even more swishy, they're all kinda clean (toilets aside). Dinner is served and the Indians dig in ... no thanks! My tummy will stick with packaged biscuits, chips and soda, thank you very much! Not a bad way to travel. By the way, this seat class isn't always available ... and sure wasn't for my first two train trip DISASTERS.

And so I arrive ... the start of a new chapter in India!

None of the Calcutta guest houses take reservations, but I arrive early enough in the morning. Top of the Lonely Planet list ... Salvation Army Red Shield guest house on Sudder Street, the in-place to be for backpackers and volunteers. I think I have just discovered my guest house acceptability boundaries. Lonely Planet said they were a mostly lacklustre bunch, but the first room they showed me ... I'm speechless!

Maybe #2 on the list ... Hotel Maria. Well (gulp), maybe (at least a big improvement over #1)! I can try this for at least two nights and in the meantime I'll look around some more. At least they were very friendly ... and only one cockroach and some ants in the bathroom! Upgrading may be in my future.

I walk around Sudder Street, enjoying a delish lunch and dinner. One downside to train travel ... with all the to and fro the station, plus waiting for trains to arrive (or not), it's often 24 hours or more with nothing more to eat than a handful of biscuits. Likely no worries about malnutrition, but I'm starving! Woohoo, I'm able to get a big heaping plate of plain boiled vegetables ... this is seriously improving my energy levels.

And with a full tummy, I do some walking around and catch up on my blog and email. Wonder of wonders, Indian electricity problems aside, Calcuta internet connections are blazing fast! Mind you, that's relative to the rest of India. Woohoo! Time to call it another day!!