Thursday, December 14, 2006

Just another Indian experience

... the clock strikes midnight ... and with that, my gastro-intestinal saga begins!

Don't worry, dear reader. I'll keep this highly censored (not to forget it's a public blog). Please continue reading and enjoying your morning bagel.

It sure felt like really, really, really bad food poisoning, but I guess it's officially called traveler's diarrhea or Delhi belly. I made it through the night ... barely. I struggled out of bed and packed in time for the 12 noon checkout (with many resting breaks). Now the problem ... I was taking an evening train at 9 pm to Hardiwar and I'm quickly realizing I can't walk for more than a few feet without needing to rest. My daypack (not to mention my backpack) feels like the weight of the world. I start off with eating some curd to settle everything (yeah, like that helped). Now what to do? How about the internet. I check my emails ever so briefly and decide to rest my head for just a second. Bam ... bob's-your-uncle ... I'm asleep on the keyboard for almost two hours. Now I know I'm in a real bit of trouble and need help! And I remember the free dorms ... Golden Temple, you're the best!

I tell the two computer guys I'm sick (duh, do you think they figured it out with my keyboard drooling) and can they help get me to the dorms. Indian kindness and hospitality is unbelievable. I truly thought I would need to start throwing around lots of rupees, but not so. They helped me slowly down the two flights of stairs, got me a rickshaw, and paid him in advance. Surely I can tip him? "Puulleeeze Madam (eyes rolling), I will not accept." And likewise for the rickshaw driver (mind you, I said he was a rickshaw driver) . I know these guys will never read this blog ... nonetheless, Thank You!

Mr. Rickshaw gets me into the dorms and I fall into a deep sleep, interspersed with the occasional toilet run. Craig (from the UK) wakes me up in time for my train, I pick up my backpack from the guest house storage, find a rickshaw and porter to carry my bags and even end up in my reserved compartments. This time, they do expect tips!

What can I say about the next 14 hours, except more sleeping. At 10 am, I arrive in Hardiwar. Hardiwar is located where the Ganges emerges from the Himalaya's. It's a holy Hindu city, with pilgrims flocking here all year to bathe in the fast-flowing Ganges. I had been so looking forward to my arrival ... planned to stay at a nice ashram and work on my hatha yoga. Instead I decide to seriously upgrade and check into the nicest hotel ... real bed linens, cushy bed, pampering! Let's see, the next 24 hours ... sleep!

The morning comes and I gingerly wander out, start to figure out my Delhi plans, and decide to take a jeep safari in the nearby Rajaji National Park. Now I'm up to walking maybe a whole block - slowly - progress is being made! And a jeep safari just entails sitting!

I'm so glad I went. What a beautiful park! So many animals ... elephants, monkeys, deer, birds ... most of which you'll have to take my word for since my zoom lense isn't much. Can you see the deer in the picture? The one thing I could take a picture of was the termites. Views beyond belief!

I arrive back at the hotel, cautiously eat some cheese toast, and guess what ... more sleeping!