Friday, January 19, 2007

Paradise found!

Sun, sand, beaches, clean water that take your breath away! What a spectacular interlude from the usual Indian dirt and mayhem!!

After a few fun-filled Mumbai days, I catch the overnight sleeper train south to Goa. You'll be pleased to know that not only have I figured out the whole Indian transport thing (knock on wood), it's now sort of a non-event, not even worth mentioning. But I do help other travelers when I can, as they had so generously helped me ... travelers who've not yet reached that transport nirvana.

13 hour train ride later, an hour taxi to Palolem that I share with some Europeans ... around mid-day, I arrive in Palolem, on the southern tip of Goa. There are little coco-huts along the beach, most perched precariously on stilts. Most are rather functional, but clean, and have private baths. I look at a couple and pick one.

It's almost like I'm not in India. This seems to be the place where Europeans come to party, play, and relax. Everyone's wearing swimsuits and shorts ... glad I brought my swimsuit, but I have to roll up the legs of my cargo pants (I'd shipped my shorts back long ago). A reminder, in case I forgot I was in India, perhaps mistaking it for the Carribean ... cows walking along the beach.

Quick animal update! It's clear there've been western influences in Palolem ... most of the dogs are fixed, ears notched. With one obvious exception. We find a litter of puppies missing their mom, but the tourists seem to be taking care of bringing them biscuits and milk. They're so little, I fear not all will make it.

The food ... utterly delectable ... seafood, lobster, shrimp, pizza, pasta, dessert, fruit, salad ... goodness gracious, I'm eating my way along the beach.

I'm only here for three days ... I wish it was longer ... I must return! What a wonderful place to say happy birthday to me! And now it's back to Mumbai for a brief stop before starting my long journey back home.