Monday, January 08, 2007

The continuing food experience ...

So many food experiences continuing in Calcutta .....

Calcutta has a place in the Guiness Book of Records for the number of sweet shops that line its streets. They're everywhere! My favorite ... barfi (try to ignore the name) ... sort of a fudge made from milk and cashew nuts, topped with edible silver foil.

For a little more grease in the gut, how about fried eggplant, dipped in chickpea breading. It probably has a fancy Indian name, but I sure don't know what it is. Really yummy!

And so many good restaurants! Although lately I've been defining good restaurants as those NOT serving Indian food. Will I ever be able to look at Indian food, curry and masala again?

So, for a somewhat food related gastro-intestinal update (dear reader, I'm so sure you were concerned)! My tummy and India have not been friends since Amritsar! Which of course leads to so many lovely toilet experiences. Grrrr! I've been mostly steering far clear of Indian food and sticking with what-they-call Continental food (meaning, bland spaghetti, toast, tomato soup, banana, and curd). I've already taken two rounds of the magic Cipro pills ... but so-so results. What else to do, but turn to Dr. Cecilia and it's off to the local chemist! I tell them my ailments and they give me some pills (so cheap, only RS50 for a supply). What are they ... really no idea, but it's time for my medical research on the web. Research done, I pick (or rather hope) one might actually do the trick.

Will it work? My fingers and toes are crossed!